Monday, August 23, 2004

Biker Chic?

After much pondering and getting clearance from mum, I decided to take up bike licence. Have informed my pals who are equally keen about this.

Its so convenient to have a vehicle (bikes are affordable and easy to manouvre) especially like today where I spent half a day shuttling from Simei (east) to Sembawang (north) to Jalan Bahar (west) then back to office at Anson Road (south).

I had a car previously, but the expenses were ludicrous. On hind sight, I understood where the government was coming from (yes we are a mere isle; there has to be control checkpoints etc.. so granted)

Talk about politics, last night, after listening to PM's National Day Rally Speech, I felt renewed hope that we are moving towards the right direction, yes it may take time but we are making progress. Suddenly I felt 'belonged'. I used to feel jaded about the policies we have (old guard and new generation mindset gap? perhaps).

Previously from the teaching vocation, I use to feel that so much could be done to improve our education system (and I was aware that alone, I could never make a big difference; feeling jaded I bowed out although I love teaching BUT not the paperwork that comes with it - always thought that we should emulate the American system where they have administrators to help the teachers with the mundane paperwork and leave the teachers to focus on actual teaching)

Right now, am so glad that we are heading towards a more experiential learning rather than exam focused. Who knows, I may re-join the teaching force some day (I reckon Sherman, my RMIT lecturer, would be pleased to know that) :)

No comments: